The Longo Firm P.A.

12555 Orange Drive
Suite 233
Davie, FL 33330

Call Now For A Personalized Consultation

(954) 546-7608

The Longo Firm P.A.

How to Request FMLA Leave in Florida?

  • By: Micah Longo, Esq.
  • Published: July 25, 2017

Click here to get the video explanation of “How to Request FMLA Leave in Florida?”

Attorney Micah Longo of the Davie, Florida law firm The Longo Firm says,”under the FMLA an eligible employee may take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave during any 12-month period for a serious health condition, birth of a child, or the care of a spouse, child, or parent who has a serious health condition. This leave is called FMLA leave.

So, how do you request FMLA leave? Well, the first step is providing “proper notice” to your employer by notifying them of your need to take FMLA leave in a “timely manner” and in a way that alerts your employer that your absence might qualify as FMLA leave. Although not required, you should give notice of your desire to invoke the FMLA.

As far as the timing of your request, that depends on whether or not you have advanced notice that you’ll need FMLA leave. In other words, if you have a knee surgery scheduled for 60 days from now, you must provide your employer with at least 30 days advanced notice. If the need for FMLA leave is unforeseeable, then you must provide notice as soon as “reasonably possible.”

After providing proper notice your employer may require a certification issued by a health care provider confirming a serious health condition.

For more information about FMLA leave please visit our website at and don’t forget to subscribe to our channel!

The Longo Firm
Micah Longo
12555 Orange Drive, Ste. 233
Davie, FL 33330
Tel: (954) 862-3608

Micah Longo, Esq.

Attorney Micah Longo is the founding member
and managing attorney of The Longo Firm. A
Pennsylvania native, Micah Longo...Read More